Munsell Color Palette
- The xyY-to-sRGB formula (in the python script used to process the renotation data) is from Wikipedia. Unless you're willing to verify the formula independently, put no more trust in the correctness of this page than you'd put in the correctness of Wikipedia.
- The data set used to plot these colors contains no grayscales. Black is assumed to be (0,0,0) in sRGB coordinates, and all other grays are interpolated by averaging hue-opposites with the smallest chroma coordinate.
- Interpolation is piecewise linear as a map from Munsell (hue, value, chroma) coordinates to (r, g, b) coordinates. (One could argue that it would be more appropriate to interpolate to coordinates in, say, CIELUV before converting formulaically to sRGB.)
- There is no support for zooming. As a workaround until I come up with a way to fix this, I suggest using the input boxes on the right side of the page for fine-grained navigation.
- Tested only in Firefox 8.0.1 and Chromium 15.0.874.121.
- The xyY-to-sRGB formula is from Wikipedia.
- The data set used to plot these colors is the Munsell Renotation Data, from the Munsell Color Science Laboratory at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Mouse coordinates are computed using code cribbed from quirksmode.js. (License)
The code is available under the MIT License. This does not cover the Munsell Renotation Data (munsell-floats.js).